This is a great recipe from local cakery, Creative Creations Cakery!
Recipe after the jump!
What you need:
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
¼ cup water
6 large egg whites
1 ½ cups unsalted softened butter, cut in cubes, (3 sticks)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
How to make:
1. Place egg whites in a freestanding mixer with whip attachment
2. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan on high heat bring sugar and water to a full boil.
3. Continue to boil undisturbed for three minutes.
4. Allow sugar and water to boil and turn mixer on high beat egg whites for two min until stiff.
5. While continuing to beat egg whites on high , slowly and carefully pour sugar syrup in to egg whites.
6. Continue to beat on high until cool.
7. Once cool, slowly add pieces of butter until completely incorporated.
8. Reduce speed on mixer to low add salt and vanilla mix until blended together.
Store icing in refrigerator covered for up to three weeks and in freezer for three months.
Before using at a later date: Reheat icing in microwave in 30 sec intervals until room temperature stir until texture is restored.